Feb 12

Making Whoopie Pies!

Making Whoopie Pies!

Ok, is there a better Valentine’s cookie than the Whoopie Pie? Well, maybe a heart-shaped one – easy to do if you use a heart-shape cookie cutter to shape the dough on the baking sheet instead of baking the rounds balls.

Whoopie pies are this year’s version of the cupcake. I saw them in miniature form in bakeries in Portland where the fillings varied from the soft, sweet, creamy white filling, to dark chocolate ganache to strawberry buttercream.

Visit my Recipes page for a very basic recipe for turning a chocolate cake mix into a Whoopie Pie. You can use whatever brand of cake mix in this cookie, even my cake mix.

Also, my friend and fellow baker Martha Bowden took a box of my yellow cake mix and turned it into Red Velvet Whoopie Pies.

For Valentine Heart Whoopie Pies: Place an open heart-shaped cookie cutter on a baking sheet, and place the ball of dough in the center of the cutter. Using your fingers, press the dough evenly to the edges of the cutter, then lift off the cutter, leaving the dough on the baking sheet. Repeat the process and bake these heart-shaped Whoopie Pies 6 to 7 minutes because they are thinner and cook more quickly. Fill with the sweet white filling, above, or use my Chocolate Ganache.

8 Comments

1. Tamra says:

I live in Nashville, can I buy your cake mix locally.

2. kecia says:

I just made the whoopie pies and they did not work. Followed the recipe to the letter and came out with cake/dough balls. They did not flatten out and at the fully allotted time were not done. Anyone else have this problem. This is the second recipe I’ve tried without success. I’m a little nervous about trying another.

• Anne says:

Did you use a plain cake mix such as Duncan Hines? The whoopie pies are two cookies sandwiched together with filling. They are a little soft when baked to doneness, and they are not completely flat but will flatten more as they cool.

• kecia says:

I used Pillsbury brand chocolate cake mix. It says it has pudding in the mix. Is this the problem? They never flattened out at all so putting two together would have been pretty comical not to mention hard to eat!

• Kim says:

Use Pillsbury Devils Food cake mix. Add to that 1/3 cup water, 3 tbls. vegetable oil and 2 eggs. Mix well. Drop very rounded tablespoons full onto greased baking sheet. Bake 9 minutes at 350. Filling – 1 cup shortening, 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 cup marshmallow Fluff, 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Mix all together. Add approx. a tablespoon of milk to thin it a bit (not too much). Beat til fluffy. When cakes are cooled, add filling. I wrap them each in saran and put in the freezer. I prefer to eat them cold. They will come out perfect everytime. I am actually in the process of making 175 of them for my daughters wedding. She wanted whoopie pies instead of a wedding cake!!! Enjoy

• Miranda says:

Your fluffy filling recipe sounds delicious. Do you think that this recipe would hold up if you replaced shortening with softened cream cheese? I would like to try this later today as a filling to Mini Red Velvet Whoopie Pies.

• Anne says:

Yes, but you would need to keep them refrigerated.

Leave a Comment:

A Piece of Cake Newsletter

A Piece of Cake® Newsletter

Sign up for A Piece of Cake®, a newsletter filled with exclusive recipes, hot tips, and answers to your baking questions.

The Books

Anne Byrn Saves The Day! Cookbook

Anne Byrn Saves The Day! Cookbook

It’s Anne Byrn to the rescue! A problem-solver extraordinaire, Anne Byrn knows what every too-busy cook knows. There are a gazillion recipes in the world, but the right recipe, the recipe that always works, the lifesaving recipe for when times are crazy—that’s priceless.

Read More...

Anne's Cake Mix

Anne’s Old-Fashioned Yellow Cake Mix

Anne’s Old-Fashioned Yellow Cake Mix

Put on your favorite apron, plug in the mixer, and get ready to bake some memories. I've dreamed of creating a yellow cake mix that gets its color from butter and eggs, not artificial colors, and its scent from Madagascar vanilla.

Read More...