It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Butter instead of Oil
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:57 pm 

I now always substitute milk for water in recipes. But have noticed that most of you substitute butter for oil. When substituting butter for oil, how much butter do you use? Also, is it ok to melt the butter....or does it have to be softened, not liquid.
Thanks-
Suanne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:01 pm 

Hi
Does any one know how I can make my cakes flat?
They look like a hill...like it goes up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:28 pm 

Hi! Everyone,
suanne, Unless a recipe says to melt the butter, I just simply lay it out and let it get good and soft.

Tiny_xox, the first thing I'm wondering is if your oven is level? However, if you mean they are bumped up in the middle then they are probably baking too fast around the outer parts of the pan. A lot of us bake our cakes at 325° and then cook a bit longer.

Also, Wilton has a product called Bake Even Strips, I believe, is what they are called. You can either order them online at the Wilton site or buy them in some of the craft stores where Wilton products are sold. You take these strips and wet them and then wrap around the outside of your pans and pin them. This keeps the outside edges from baking so fast.

Another thing, if you aren't sure of the accuracy of your oven, you might purchase an oven thermometer and check it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:59 pm 

Mary K.,
But how much butter do you use? For example, if it says 1/2c or 1/4 a cup of oil....how much butter?
thanks-
Suanne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:50 pm 

Hi!suanne, If it says 1/2 cup of oil I use 1/2 cup of butter or in other words 1 cube. If it's 1/4 cup I just cut a cube of butter in half and put it in a little bowl to soften on the cabinet or right in the mixer bowl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:09 am 

Hi Suanne - I substitute butter for oil at the same ratio: One half cup oil = one half cup butter (1 stick or 4 oz). The butter can be melted or room temp unless the recipe says "melted".

Hi Tiny - Baking at 325 will produce a level cake. Just remember to bake it a little longer, and test with a wooden skewer so you can reach the bottom for complete doneness.

Post subject: Re: Butter instead of Oil
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:12 am 

suanne wrote:
I now always substitute milk for water in recipes. But have noticed that most of you substitute butter for oil. When substituting butter for oil, how much butter do you use? Also, is it ok to melt the butter....or does it have to be softened, not liquid.
Thanks-
Suanne

Suanne,

I do believe that you can use *either* softened butter *or* melted butter in place of oil in a recipe. I just made peanut butter cupcakes last night and used butter instead of oil. Since the butter was not softened (and I did not want to wait for it to soften) I melted it in the microwave. HOWEVER, you have to be careful when adding melted butter. I add it at the end, after the other ingredients have been blended. Otherwise, if you add it with your cold (or even room temperature) ingredients you very well may end up with bits of butter in the batter.

...And I use an equal amount of butter in place of oil.