It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Filling cupcakes
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:04 pm 

I just finished my first batch of filled cupcakes for my daughter's bat mitzvah, and I have a question. I used the chocolate sour cream recipe with chocolate sour cream frosting and vanilla pastry cream for the filling. Everything came out nicely, but in the test cupcake I discovered that there was only enough filling for about 3 bites. That seems skimpy to me, but I don't have much experience with this sort of thing. (This is only the 3rd time I've done it.) Is 3 bites of filling normal? Or should there be more? To inject the filling I used the tip with the small round hole. If I use a tip with a bigger hole, will it pump more filling in the cupcake? Will the bigger hole it leaves in the top be a problem? Will the cupcake explode? Or is my problem technique? Should I be moving the tip in tight circles or something to try and disperse the filling more widely inside the cupcake? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

The next batch I'll be making will be Fresh Orange with orange curd filling on Sunday. If anyone can advise before then, I'd be grateful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:38 pm 

Carol,
When I have made my filled cupcakes, I used tip 199, it is usually used for making borders and has a fairly wide opening. I use a thick straw, wood dowel, etc to make a hole in the cupcake then sort of roll it arond inside to make a nice hollow in the center, then I squeeze the filling inside. You can actually see the cupcakes begin to plump as you fill them, stop when you see them get plump or you will overfill them and would be very messy to eat. I have never had a problem with the size of the hole on top, I always cover it with frosting. I have made the Fresh Orange in cupcakes with orange curd filling and orange cream cheese frosting, they are delicious! You will not be disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:33 am 

Oh, thank you, Christie, that's very helpful! My tips aren't numbered, though, so I don't know if I have 199. The other ones I have are a slit that looks just like a snake's mouth, a teardrop, a starburst, and a flower with sharp petals. At least that's what they look like to me. Which one do you think I should use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:07 pm 

Carol, I know this is too late since you were making the cupcakes for Sunday, but I use wilton tipsand they are numbered. The 199 is a star tip, it has a large hole with serrated edges, I also use a #12, which is just a large round hole. I would use the tip you have with the largest hole, and it should work fine. So did you make the cupcakes yesterday, how did they turn out?
Oh, you could go to the wilton website and look at the wilton store to see pictures of the tips I mentioned, just to compare.