It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Filling for Snickerdoodle cupcakes
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:14 am 

I'm going to be making these over the weekend, frosting them with cinnamon buttercream, and I'm thinking of either using cinnamon chips in the batter or filling them with something. (They're for my daughter's bat mitzvah, and so far--not counting cakes and cookies--I've made chocolate sour cream cupcakes with chocolate sour cream frosting and vanilla pastry cream filling, and fresh orange cupcakes with fresh orange cream cheese frosting and orange curd filling.) So my questions are:

1. Do you think I should stick with the filled-cupcake theme? If so, what should I fill them with? I could make more pastry cream, but how do I flavor it? Or what else could I use?

2. Or is the filled-cupcake theme too monotonous? Would cinnamon chips in the cupcakes melt or (because of the smaller size cake) hold their shape, and is that a good thing or not?

3. Does anyone know where the term "Snickerdoodle" comes from? It sounds like something George Washington made up when he was nine. Thanks for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:44 am 

Carol,
You've come this far, why not go all the way! What about melting the cinnamon chips with a little butter or oil,and maybe a little cream to use as the filling. Or inside out--use cinnamon buttercream to fill and melted cinnamon chips to frost? Or bake with a cream cheese filling, white chocolate? If you just mix the chips in the batter, I don't think they would melt. Maybe others will have more suggestions for you.
Happy Baking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:51 am 

Hi Carol
I vote for non-filled snickerdoodles with cinnamon chips. I've made the snickerdoodle and it is a bit plain, but that might be a good thing since you already have 2 other types of filled cupcakes (which by the way sound very yummy). I'd add more cinnamon than the recipe calls for too.
I wonder if the snickerdoodle name has the same history as pasta puttanesca?

Post subject: Re: Filling for Snickerdoodle cupcakes
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:12 pm 

Carol Howell wrote:
Does anyone know where the term "Snickerdoodle" comes from? It sounds like something George Washington made up when he was nine. Thanks for your help!

Check this out!
Snickerdoodle's Roots In American Folklore
Who knew?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:57 pm 

Wow, so my joke about George Washington (Yankee Doodle) was closer to the mark than I thought. But why the association with cinnamon? If anything, Snickerdoodle ought to be associated with peanut flavoring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:24 pm 

Hi Carol - Congratulations on your daughter's bar-mitzvah! If you want to fill the snickerdoodle cupcakes, I would use a cinnamon cream cheese or buttercream filling same as dc said, and not the cinnamon chips. Another thing you might consider adding to the snickerdoodle batter is anise extract or seeds. Cinnamon and anise are yummy together!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:50 pm 

Laura was posted a link to a super hero named Snickerdoodle. Here is the history of the cookie -
http://www.gti.net/mocolib1/kid/foodcookies.html#snickerdoodles