It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gift wrapping a cake
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:45 pm 

Does anyone out there have creative ways of gift-wrapping a cake in unique ways. I'm making alot of these wonderful cakes and giving them away but would like to really awe my friends with some special "packaging" . Appreciate any ideas or suggestions. Have seen hat boxes being used with lovely ribbons. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:11 am 

Hi There
I'm pretty boring when giving cakes. I usally hit the dollar store and buy a colourful plastic platter and a clear cover and then give both to the hostess. You could try all the great clear/coloured cellophanes that are available with a nice ribbon.
I know some people on the board have talked about geting bakery boxes from their local bakery- these could be decorated if you want to jazz them up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:28 pm 

I'm always afraid of cakes sliding about in a box. If Jean is boring (her words) I guess I am too. Since most of my give-away cakes are bundt or pound cakes, I like to put them on the plate and wrap securely with saran wrap. I do shop year-round at flea markets for pretty plates to use but often buy inexpensive holiday plates at Target (& other places) when they are on sale. I don't do this for everyone (a lot are men neighbors who don't care about anything but the cake) but I love to tie a wide shear ribbon around the cake and tie a beautiful bow. Some years ago I started collecting old pedestal cake stands - cakes, cheesecakes, pies, cookies, fruit all look beautiful on them. For special friends and family members, I bought pedestal cake plates for them, made the cakes, and they received their gift like that with the wide pretty ribbon tied as best I could around that pedestal. Believe me, however you present your cakes, they will be appreciated and remembered. Oh, for the friends that bake (I'm always amazed at how many people don't bake), I generally include the recipe too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:32 pm 

Hi Onowahine, for bake sales I cut a piece of cardboard slighly larger than the cake, place a paper doily on it, place the cake on it and wrap in cellophane securing it with a ribbon. For friends,I present the cake on a pretty plate with a doily and cellophane and ribbon. If you have a TJMax near you, it is a great place to find "gift plates" at very reasonable prices.
Good Luck, Regina

Post subject: True Confessions
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:03 am 
After all those posts about cake decoration, I took a class, and our wonderful instructor had a tip for this. Buy some cheap non-slip shelf liner (the rubbery kind, like rubbermaid) and put it underneath the cardboard round the cake is on. Glue the cake to the cardboard/foil/doily with a bit of icing, and you've got a secure, ready to travel cake.

The shelf liner is also a good way to lift and manuever the cake around, if you cut a bigger piece. I've been using the shelf liner under my mixing bowls and everywhere else to prevent slips.

Info

Post subject: Re: True Confessions
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:24 pm 

Info@Workman wrote:
After all those posts about cake decoration, I took a class, and our wonderful instructor had a tip for this. Buy some cheap non-slip shelf liner (the rubbery kind, like rubbermaid) and put it underneath the cardboard round the cake is on. Glue the cake to the cardboard/foil/doily with a bit of icing, and you've got a secure, ready to travel cake.

The shelf liner is also a good way to lift and manuever the cake around, if you cut a bigger piece. I've been using the shelf liner under my mixing bowls and everywhere else to prevent slips.

Info

Great tip! This should even work for transporting cakes in the car. I usually use a damp towel between the car and the tray or plate that the cake is on so that it is not sliding all over the car seat or floor. I'll have to try this method. I love those non-slip liners. I use them on the counter when I am mixing or chopping things. Now I've got another use for them! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:55 pm 

Info, I love that tip for using a non-slip shelf liner under your cake. I use it under bowls when mixing but it never occurred to me to use it when packaging or transporting a cake. One son is 1-1/2 hrs. away. We visit often - most always with a cake. This will help the slippin' & slidin' (or holding)! Thanks.

Post subject: love that tip!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:38 pm 

thanks info, love that tip! I use all those same tips and I reuse the plastic containers from Sam's...the tea room I bake for saves them for me...although sometimes people think they are store bought cakes! stef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:12 pm 

Thanks Info, I'm leaving tomorrow for New Jersey with of course my "cakes" but before I do, I am going to get those liners to insure the safety of my "precious cargo"!
Keep the tips coming!
Regina

Post subject: Thanks fellow bakers
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:39 pm 

Thanks for the replies and the ideas and I'm hoping to be a little more creative in my gift-giving!! Check out the lovely cake/hat boxes they use for pound cakes at this website www.nonniestraditional.com
Happy Baking y'all!! :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:46 pm 
hi, if it's for someone you are close with or would buy another gift for why not consider a tupperware cake taker and tie with a pretty bow made of "tulle" and tuck with a few flowers or festive greenery to suit the occasion..... for those that that is the gift for i do the same "pretty plate" idea. i cut two pieces of celophane or saran and cris cross them and put the plate on top then gather it all around it with the tips sticking up and tie a ribbon and trim the celophane even so it sticks up like an easter basket...
btw, love the hatbox and the rubbermaid no slip ideas.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:44 pm 

These are such wonderful ideas, and a number of them I have used. Probably, where we are taking them, and for what occasion will greatly determine what we use. I have cooked and baked for over 55 years and I am still learning. Thank you all for all your input.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:35 am 
Since I bake over 100 bundt cakes every Christmas as gifts, what I have found that works best is Dixie disposable Stoneware plates. They are very strong and reusable and they are the largest ones you will find- 11 inches. They come in assorted colors. I then purchase through out the year cello wrap at craft stores or the 99C stores. I buy a mulititude of ribbons right after Christmas to save for the next year. I lay out the cello wrap flat, put the cake on the plate on top and draw up the cello wrap and tie with a ribbon. I print labels on each "Happy Holidays to the Smiths from the Joneses" so I know where each one goes. I also send out a list in Nov. with about 10 choices so folks can pick what they like. It is always fun to see which is the most popular. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:35 am 

I use the wrap the same way you do, and also, buy the ribbon on clearance. Thank you for posting. I appreciate the tips.