It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Doctoring (Stretching) Cake Mixes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:24 pm 

Help! I need to make a 10", 2-layer cake mix. Is there anyway to stretch it (by adding flour, sugar, etc) so that it makes two nice and high layers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:41 pm 

Trishster, along with the extras you can add to your mix, include 2 tbsp of Meringue Powder which helps to give a higher cake. To a box of white or french vanilla cake mix I add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 3/4 tsp salt, 4 eggs, 1-1/3 cup water or milk, 2 tbsp oil, 1 cup sour cream, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 tsp almond extract. If you need even larger cake, just double this. While still warm I poke holes and drizzle about 1/2 cup amaretto liquore over it all, very good! Let it age a full day or two before serving if possible.

Peggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:13 pm 

Hi!

Welcome to the board Trishster. It's nice to have you. Although I can't think of a thing to add to what Peggy has already told you, someone else may have more ideas. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:17 am 

peggybrow wrote:
To a box of white or french vanilla cake mix I add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 3/4 tsp salt, 4 eggs, 1/3 cup water or milk, 2 tbsp oil, 1 cup sour cream, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 tsp almond extract. If you need even larger cake, just double this.
Peggy

Peggy, that doesn't seem like a lot of liquid or oil to me when you consider the extra ingredients... do you still add the ingredients called for on the box too? thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:39 am 

Hi Jean,

No, I don't go by the box ingredients at all when making this special cake. It is plenty moist, and the sour cream goes a long way to help with that. I have made it many times, and for special events for friends who have requested it. The amaretto is the crowning glory, especially when it can set for a day or so to absorb the flavor of the liquore and the frosting. A friend from my Wilton cake decorating classes was kind enough to share it with me as one of her favorites, and it quickly became one of ours too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:54 am 

Hi Trishster - I have a cake extender recipe that I'll email to you. You add the additiional ingredients to your recipe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:56 am 

Trishter...I have used BarbaraMc's cake extender formula many times. It works great. VickiV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:23 am 

BarbaraMc:

Would you email it to me, too, please?

Thanks,

Diane
dstone82@yahoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:49 am 

I might add that you can easily get a nice high three layer cake from a two-layer cake mix if you use the extender. This does not affect the flavor or the texture, though I do add a bit of cocoa to the extender if I am making (you guessed it!) a chocolate cake. The only problem with using the extender is that you have to make additional frosting (1 1/2 to 2 times the original recipe) to cover the cake. VickiV

Post subject: Thanks to all!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:58 pm 

I'm taking a cake decorating class and needed a cake for tomorrow! Thanks to all who replied. This site is wonderful!

Post subject: Need to apologize for my type-0 on liquid amt
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:28 pm 

I should have read Jeans post more closely, as she pointed out there was not enough liquid in my amounts above. As I was reading over today I see I am guilty of a type-0 when entering the amount of the water/milk. I wrote 1/3 cup and it's supposed to be 1 1/3 cup instead! I apologize for my error! I had sent the full recipe by email to the gal requesting how to extend her cake, so I know that was correct as I copied and pasted the original recipe. I hope the error in this thread has not caused any failures out there, again I am very sorry!

Peggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:12 pm 

It happens, at some point, to all of us Peggy. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:05 pm 

Peggybrow:

What is the name of your recipe? Do you bake it in a bundt or layers? And, what frosting do you usually use? Sorry for so many questions but this sounds really good.

Thanks, Diane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:59 pm 

My cake is called "White Almond Sour Cream". I have made it in large layers for my sons wedding, I have made it as a large sheet cake, I have cut the recipe in half and just made very full 9 or 10 inch round layers, maybe a bit left for cupcakes if using the 9" pans. I have never tried it in a bundt. It makes a great tasting moist cake, especially with the finishing touch of amaretto drizzled over the layers.
Frost, and seal it up to let the flavors blend a day.

White Almond Sour Cream Cake

2 boxes White Cake Mix or French Vanilla ( I use Duncan Hines)
2 cups unbleached flour
2 cups sugar
1 ½ tsp. Salt

8 egg whites for the white mix, or 8 eggs for the french vanilla (I use whole eggs in both)
2 2/3 cups water
4 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cups sour cream
2 tsp clear vanilla
2 tsp almond extract

Mix all dry ingredients by hand in large bowl
Add rest of the ingredients and beat on med for 2 minutes
Bake at 325 degrees

This halves easily

One full recipe will make:
One 14" round and a 6" round
One 16” round
Two 10” rounds and one 6” round
One 11X15 and one 8” round

Test for doneness with toothpick
Time for baking depends on size pan(s) you are using
Bake at 325 until tests done

For extra flavor punch I poke holes in warm cake and pour on about half a cup of amaretto liquore before frosting with a buttercream . For peak flavor, let it set a day enclosed in cake saver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:01 pm 

Diane, I've been making the cake Peggy posted for a few years now - except I start with Betty Crocker white. In fact, I think I posted the recipe in the spring when Poutine was looking for wedding cupcake recipes. I've never made it in a bundt either but have baked small loaves - a dear friend's favorite. It's great as a loaf so I think it would be just fine in a bundt. But I agree with Peggy - this cake definitely needs 24 hrs. to blend the flavors. This is one dil's favorite birthday cake and it bakes into two 9" very high layers and really looks beautiful when frosted.