It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cherry Vanilla Cake
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:51 pm 

I've had this recipe forever - just never got around to trying it until last week. I know variations of the Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake have been discussed but I don't remember this combo (then again I don't remember much!). This recipe from a friend actually called for twice this amount of oil. I was tempted to use none but opted this first time to cut it in half. For us, this cake was a keeper. As much as I love nuts, I think I might prefer this cake without the crunch - perhaps it was because I used slivered almonds (it's what I had).

Cherry Vanilla Cake

1 box Duncan Hines French Vanilla or White Cake Mix
1 21-oz. can cherry pie filling
2 eggs
1/3 cup Crisco oil
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup chopped almonds

Combine cake mix and pie filling by hand (it will be thick). Add the other ingredients and stir until well blended. Pour into a prepared 13 x 9” pan. Bake at 350° for 35-45 min. Cool and frost as desired.

If you want the cherries broken up in smaller pieces throughout the batter, use your electric mixer instead of stirring by hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:05 am 

Carolyn...This sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing. VickiV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:52 pm 

Carolyn, your recipe sounds delicious!

What did you frost your cake with, or did you leave it plain?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:58 pm 

This does sound good, and the French Vanilla cake mix coupled with cherries and almond shows even chocoholics can love this one. I would almost leave Chocolate for French Vanilla.....well, I did say, "almost." :lol:

Thanks Carolyn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:53 pm 

Debbie - I used the Cream Cheese frosting. For me, it would have been fine plain but DH can only "partake" once in awhile now and he does likes his frosting.

Mary, I use the French Vanilla mix every chance I can and it is good (much prefer DH over BC for this flavor) but it will NEVER take the place of chocolate (and I know it won't for you either). :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:15 pm 

Hi Carolyn! I have made a similiar recipe as well. At a church dinner at Valentine's, I followed the same basic recipe except I used a BC Cherry Chip Cake Mix and butter instead of oil. I frosted it with a Cherry Buttercream Frosting. I didn't use any nuts, but everyone liked it there as well.

Marsha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:33 am 

Marsha - Oh, to find a cherry chip mix around here! My DH loves cherries and has looked everywhere for it to no avail. The pie filling with the French vanilla mix did make him a happy camper though. I really wondered if the recipe needed the oil/butter at all since other variations don't call for any - that's why I cut the quantity in half. I can't use butter any more because of DH's diet restrictions and no oil would even be better. My thinking has always been "don't mess with a good thing" but then lots of doctoring would never take place! What are your thoughts on no added fat? Do you use butter/oil when making the cherry chocolate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:25 pm 

I sometimes add the butter and sometimes I don't. It's mainly a flavor enhancer and fat substitute in my opinion. I love butter. I'll admit it! LOL! But I do think it takes cake mix cakes to another level.

I do not add butter with the chocolate cherry cake, mainly because I add so much other stuff...like mini chocolate chips and dried cherries. And I only use the eggs, three or four (they range in size because I get them from my FIL's chickens). So based on my experience, I don't think you need to add the oil or butter with this particular recipe. Leave it out. The cake will still raise and be wonderfully moist.

If you ever want me to mail you some BC Cherry Chip Cake mixes let me know. It wouldn't be a problem at all.

Marsha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:06 pm 

Girls, I agree with you all, and Carolyn, I'm going to have to pay attention, and see which of the French Vanilla I like best, because I too, like some of the DH better than the BC, so if I catch a good DH sale, I'll be buying.:lol: Actually, I don't think a person can go too far wrong with DH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:33 pm 

Marsha, a Cherry Buttercream frosting sounds so good. Do you just make the basic buttercream frosting in the CMD Book and add dried cherries or marashino cherries and substitute almond extract for the vanilla extract? Or do you have a special recipe that you would be so kind to share?

Also, I am really wanting to make your Midnight Mint Chocolate Cake this weekend. I noticed in a past post of yours that you stated you frosted the cake with a Chocolate Ganache. Would I just follow the Chocolate Ganache recipe in the CMD Book and use the Andes Chocolate Mint Chips instead of chocolate chips and then use Creme DeMint (spelling?) Liquor for the added flavor? Also, since it is a bundt cake, I would only need to let the ganache sit 10 minutes before glazing the cake, right? I have never used the ganache as a glaze only as a frosting for the Lethal Chocolate Peppermint Cake. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:21 pm 

Hi Debbie,

I just make a basic buttercream. I'm sure it probably is close to the one in the book, but I just do it on my own...all butter, powdered sugar, extract..yum. One of my favorite things. Anyway, I do use almond extract with a light hand because I want to taste the chopped maraschino cherries, and I use their juice or maraschino syrup as the liquid.

For the midnight mint cake, I usually make the ganache with mint chocolate chips, but I know everyone can't get their hands on them. I am not sure how the Andes Chips do in a ganache. So, I would probably make the ganache with regular chocolate chips, semi-sweet, and then after covering the cake with the ganache, I would sprinkle on the Andes Chips. Also, I always use my 12-cup bundt because this cake really rises for me.

Additionally, when I make a ganache I only use whipping cream and some form of chocolate, nothing else. I like the rich bold taste of chocolate, but if wanted to try adding creme de menthe as a flavoring I wouldn't see any problem with that. Let me know how you like it.

Marsha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:40 pm 

I did Marsha's Midnight mint for St. Pat's day and did a basic ganache with regular choc. chips and heavy cream and then added about 1/4 cup of creme de menthe (went a little light on the cream in the ganache). It needed just a little more time to set up with the extra liquid, maybe an extra 5 minutes. It was GREAT! Let us know how yours turns out!
Kathy