It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lemon Sock-It-To-Me Cake
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:22 pm 

Judy's post on her lemon version of the Almond Cream Cheese Pound Cake reminded me that I originally intended to post about this cake I made a couple of weeks ago. So many lemon cakes, so little time. I wasn't sold on the fact that it would be lemony enough since it starts with the butter recipe golden mix but I really liked it. I also wondered whether I'd like the streusel filling in combination with lemon. Hadn't quite made up my mind about that but I took a piece out of the freezer over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it as is. I do believe the cake would be excellent without the streusel. Loved the addition of the pudding to the butter recipe golden and the texture of this cake. I meant to add a teaspoon of lemon zest to the cake batter but totally forgot. I'm adding it here but the cake was fine without it.

Lemon Sock-It-To-Me Cake

Cake:
1 box Duncan Hines Butter Recipe Golden Mix
1 small box instant lemon pudding
4 eggs
8-oz. carton sour cream
1/2 cup Crisco oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest

Streusel:
2 tablespoons dry cake mix
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts

Glaze:
1 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon lemon juice (little at a time)
1 teaspoon lemon zest

Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 10- or 12-cup bundt pan with Pam w/Flour. (I used the 10-cup Bavarian). For streusel filling, combine 2 TBSP dry cake mix, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir in nuts; set aside.

For cake, combine remaining cake mix, pudding, eggs, sour cream, oil, and lemon juice. Mix until well blended. Pour 1/2 the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with streusel filling. Spoon remaining batter evenly over filling. Bake for 50 to 58 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 min. Invert onto cake plate. Cool completely. Drizzle glaze over cake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:35 pm 

OOOH! Good. I was going to make another lemon cake as part of this weeks baking, so now, I'll get to try this one. Thanks Carolyn for sharing it with us. :D

Post subject: Intriguing Combination
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:24 pm 

CarolynB,

I never would have thought to use lemon for the Sock-It-To-Me Cake but after seeing your recipe I may just have to try my hand at it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:55 pm 

Wow!! Now it looks like I'm going to have THREE fabulous Lemon Cakes to choose from...Marsha's Lively Lemon, the Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake, and now this one!!! That's really not a bad thing for a lemon lover. :D Thank you for sharing Carolyn! Now, in addition to having to make a tough choice between the Bavaria, the Sunflower, or the Chrysanthemum I will have to choose which of these cakes best suits "the mood"!!! They each have their own special, unique, quality.

Post subject: Lemon Sock-It-To-Me-Cake
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:28 pm 

I made Carolyn's, Lemon Sock-It-To-Me-Cake yesterday. Had a piece for breakfast. We thoughly enjoyed it.
I,like Carolyn,was leary that the taste of lemon would not be strong enough with the butter recipe golden cake mix. Therefore, I used a lemon cake mix. Carolyn also was not sure that she would care for the streusel filling with the lemon flavor. I, on the other hand thought it would be great (again, we all have different taste). We like streusel so much that I decided to do something different. I made the original amount of streusel for the middle of the cake, and then also made 1/2 a recipe of the streusel and placed it in the bottom of the pan. So, we had streusel on the top & in the middle of the cake. We are not frosting fans,but, a streusel and a light glaze is right up our alley. :D
My hubby took one bite and said....YUMMMM, this is good :!:
Thanks, CarolynB for posting this recipe. It is a keeper for us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:48 pm 

Charlene, What a terrific idea to put some streusel in the bottom of the pan! Apparently the streusel stayed on the cake and came out of the pan OK or you would have mentioned it. I'm going to start doing that for all sock-it-to-me and like cakes! I love how the nuts & choc chips look on top of the cake when you turn out the Chocolate Pistachio. I'm thinking the streusel may look similar. I'm glad the cake worked for you. I haven't made a regular sock-it-to-me for a while but I learned one thing from the lemon version. I'll be adding a box of pudding when I next make one. I always use the butter recipe golden when I make that too because we just like the texture so much. But without the pudding, that golden mix just doesn't bake up as high. Thanks so much for your tip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:00 pm 

Hi CarolynB,
I used my bavarian bundt pan,and sprayed it WELL with Pam/flour, and the cake came out of the pan with NO problem. I also, like the look of the pistachio cake with the nuts & choc. chips.on top. I think that makes such a nice looking cake for a special occasion. We really did like the extra streusel on the cake. That will be a must for me from now on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:18 pm 

Hi Carolyn,

You've really piqued my interest with your twist to the Sock-It-To-Me Cake (I love anything lemon). As you know I don't make many doctored cakes but this is one I've always wanted to try. We can't get the butter recipe mixes up here. I think my choices in DH are the Classic Yellow and French Vanilla. Do you think there'd be a problem with either of those? Should I make an adjustment in the liquids? I wasn't going to buy any more cake mixes, but I think I may have to make an exception LOL. Thanks.

Sadie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:33 pm 

:lol: Sadie, they also, talked me into buying a couple of those mixes, but I don't regret it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:46 pm 

Hi Sadie, what a shame you can't get DH Butter Recipe Golden - its texture is wonderful and, IMO, helps make the cake. Of course, we can't get DH's Butter Recipe Fudge here and that drives me crazy. I don't care for DH Yellow so I'd go with French Vanilla of the two you mentioned. I'm not sure what to tell you regarding the liquid. Charlene made this using a lemon mix so if she sees this, hopefully she'll say if she changed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:44 pm 

Hi Carolyn,

My youngest daughter is going to be commuting to school in Buffalo on a weekly basis starting this September, so I think I'll put the S-I-T-M cake back in my "to try" file until then, and add the DH Butter Recipe Golden to my growing list of things for her to look for when she's in the States. It sounds like it's the best candidate for this cake, and since I rarely make the same thing twice, I don't like to compromise on the mix. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:06 am 

Hi Sadie, I did NOT change the amount of liquid in this recipe. The only things I changed was to use a BC Lemon Mix and I always use unsweetened applesauce in place of the oil. I froze half of the cake at the time I baked it. We just had the last pieces of it last night with our coffee. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:27 am 

Thanks, Charlene. I've saved yours and Carolyn's notes and am looking forward to trying this cake. I seem to love anything lemon, so I'm sure it'll be a hit. I like your idea of lots of streusel and a light glaze.

Sadie