It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Coconut Cake Recipe
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:56 am 

I am in search of a coconut layer cake recipe. I see the recipe for the Grandma's Coconut Icebox Cake, however, I was wondering if I could substitute a little coconut milk in place of the water to give the cake a coconut flavor. Has anyone ever done this?

Has anyone make this cake? How did it turn out??

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:06 am 

Stephanie, I am not familiar with this recipe, but I don't see why you couldn't sub coconut milk for the water. I always replace regular milk for some or all the liquid in recipes. In addition, you might want to add coconut extract.

There also is a great and easy coconut layer cake recipe that was included in one of the past Kraft Food and Family magazines. The link is below.

Classic ANGEL FLAKEĀ® Coconut Cake

Post subject: Re: Coconut Cake Recipe
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:25 am 

sardog57wife wrote:
I am in search of a coconut layer cake recipe. I see the recipe for the Grandma's Coconut Icebox Cake, however, I was wondering if I could substitute a little coconut milk in place of the water to give the cake a coconut flavor. Has anyone ever done this?
Thanks again!

Good Morning Everyone, :D

Yes, Stephanie, you can, and it would give even more flavor. I agree with Barbara about adding the coconut extract, also. Maybe, I just like more intense flavor, but I think that helps take things from the blah into a taste treat. :wink: Let us know what you make, and thanks Barbara for other link. I may have to try that one for a coconut lover,using either a white or a chocolate cake mix. :D Another flavor combination that seems to be well received is coconut and lemon cake mix. I add zest of 1 lemon with that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:37 pm 

Mary, I would have never thought of that combination (lemon and coconut), but it sounds like it would be a hit...especially with the warm weather approaching. It's still only in the 50s in NJ. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:37 pm 

Barbara, That was one of the cakes that I made a couple of weeks ago, and my son took it and others to a bunch for their break room. Well, he called me yesterday, and started telling me how that fellow said he just really liked that cake and when my son asked if he especially liked lemon he said, no, he usually didn't, but that one he really liked. You all know how I mix flavors and change recipes and when my DS asked which cake it was, I couldn't remember for a bit. He wondered how I could repeat it, if I didn't know which it was. :( Long story made short I guess, I'll have to keep a journal, but I did find some notes which hadn't been pitched, so I can do a repeat. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:41 pm 

Mary, do you prefer any brand lemon mix over another? I just don't want the taste to be artificial. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:00 pm 

Well, I have kinda just re-done the whole recipe :roll: I am pleased with the results too!!! I changed the cake mix to a coconut cake mix, I added a package of coconut cream pudding and a can of coconut water in place of the regular water. The oil and eggs were the same as the recipe called for.

Now...............my next dilemma. I want to make the coconut icing that goes along with the cake, however, I have yet to find a grocery store that hasn't discontinued frozen unsweetened coconut. So, would it be alright to use bagged, sweetened coconut and just go a bit easier on the sugar?

Thanks again ladies, ya'll are life savers!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:24 pm 

Hi you all,

Barbara, I had both DH and Pillsbury Lemon cake mixes, and I believe, I'm probably going to get away from the Pillsbury, but that is what I used the last time, and then I used a box of lemon instant pudding, 1 1/2 tsp. of coconut extract and the zest of a whole lemon. Then in the glaze I used the juice of that same lemon for a lot of the liquid, and a bit more zest.

That lemon cake mix also, makes a good "Crawling Cake" with a cream cheese frosting in the batter. Or in other words, you can use the Amazing German Chocolate in the CCMD book, page 128, as a guide, and instead use a lemon cake mix and another flavor of frosting in the batter, and that's good too. I'm going to try using that recipe and use both lemon cake mix and frosting, along with the zest and lemon extract.

Stephanie, your cake sounds good. My bunch likes the coconut flavor, but not the coconut texture that pudding gives, but a lot of people do. Go ahead and use the bagged coconut and sort of give it a taste test, because some people don't cut back on the sugar, and some do. It is just a matter of personal preference and how sweet you like it. Let us know what you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:01 am 

I posted a review awhile back with a great coconut layer cake from the Kraft Food and Family Monthly Magazine. It was a month or two ago. I'm sure you could go to Kraft.com and search coconut cake. It was made with a white cake mix and was very easy. And looked beautiful!!!!!
Maybe someone can find the link and post it for you......George, Mary?
Suanne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:42 am 

Here is a recipe for a coconut cake, from the earlier community board from a past member.

[url=http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/ask/chat/messages/7214.html]
Coconut Cake[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:07 pm 

Suanne, was this the cake that you made?

CLASSIC ANGEL FLAKE COCONUT CAKE

Thanks for the other link as well, Charlene. Is seems like the "Coconut Bug" is going around now. Had you all noticed? :wink: