It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tweeking store bought frosting
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:53 pm 

What can I mix in store bought can frosting to make it lighter and tone down the sweetness? Frosting as in the typical two layer round cake type frosting. And lighter as in fluffier or less dense, not the color. Thanks

Last edited by flo on Fri May 13, 2005 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:07 pm 

I'm taking a guess here, I make all my own frosting........But, to tone down the sweetness, you could try a little cornstarch, but i'm batting out in left field with that. As far as the color goes, Wilton makes a lightener called Icing Color White-White. It's in a small bottle with a little squeeze top.

Good luck!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:36 pm 

If you like cream cheese, you could add some of that. I have done that and I like it.

I also read on another website where someone mixed a small box of Jell-O with the white frosting. I have never done it, but I am curious enough to try it some time.

Dove Chocolate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:40 pm 

Hi All, :D

Welcome to the Community Board, Flo. I don't use much canned frosting, but just a dash of salt will help kill the sweetness in it. I know some who add some real cream cheese to make it fluffier, and take it out of the realm of canned frosting. You would want the cream cheese at room temp and I would beat it good with the mixer before adding the canned frosting to it. Maybe, there are others who have some ideas about doctoring it to achieve the more fluffy texture.

DC, I had to stop and go take out my cake and you slipped in without me knowing it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:37 pm 

On the same subject as canned frosting ... does anyone have any suggestions for making it harden a bit?

We seldom use it but had some 'creamy supreme' I think (most likely Pillsburyor General Mills - I don't remember) - and were having some fun with some young neighborhood kids doing cookies ... and frosting them different ways. Seemed to take forever for them to harden. I think someone finally put in fridge for awhile.

Just curious ... as when doing 'projects' with the young ones.... they do come in handy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:58 pm 

I wonder what corn syrup would do for canned frosting. Would that make it harden any? You can always add powdered sugar to it, and I know people do that, but that would only make it thicker and not really harden. Hmm, they need to make something to use for those kinds of cookies, because after while it would just simply be easier to just stir up some frosting than use the canned, if a person had to doctor it too much. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:33 am 

I know in homemade buttercream, meringue powder helps the icing crust. I haven't tried it, but maybe adding a teaspoon or 2 to a tub of canned frosting would help. Yes, powdered sugar does thicken it so it holds up better to decorations. Maybe a combination of the 2 would work. Of course, if you are going to all that trouble, why not mix up a batch from scratch?

Post subject: Tips on doctoring frosting
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:16 pm 

Hi Flo,

This has been discussed before in the past as a few of us are frosting challenged (moi included) or just short on time (moi aussi again). Here is a link where doctoring a can of chocolate frosting was discussed....

Doctoring Chocolate Frosting

There was another thread where several other suggestions were given but I have yet to find it but I'll keep searching and will post a link if I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:07 pm 

:oops: I'm sorry I'm so slow about remembering this one, but I also, had this referenced in my computer files. You might also, want to check:
Doctoring Store-Bought Icing

My Notes: I have used a dash of nutmeg with the cream cheese frosting, and I personally liked that for say like a banana cake and others. You can do add so many different flavor to the cream cheese frosting for a change of taste. ...want a bit of color? Add a little food coloring a drop or two at a time, and that works fine, or use the paste by dipping your toothpick into the paste and transferring it to the frosting a little at a time, stirring well, and adding until you get what you want. I haven't use the dry coloring, but it should also, work fine.

Post subject: Re: Tweeking store bought frosting
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:04 am 

flo wrote:
What can I mix in store bought can frosting to make it lighter and tone down the sweetness? Frosting as in the typical two layer round cake type frosting. And lighter as in fluffier or less dense, not the color. Thanks

I like to add cream cheese (softened and well creamed before adding it to the frosting to avoid lumps – zapping it in the microwave and stirring until creamy works well when short on time) and room temperature butter to my canned frostings. Finish it off with a dash of rum, brandy, vanilla, or a flavored extract and no one will be able to tell that it started with a tub of store-bought frosting!! You can add other ingredients as well such as confectioners’ sugar, Dream Whip, corn syrup, maple syrup, vanilla syrup… just use your imagination and keep tasting it as you go. Once you’ve gotten it to taste yummy, STOP!! Too much of a good thing is good for nothing.

Keep whipping the frosting to get it fluffy. But, if it gets too warm and starts to lose volume you can put the bowl in the refrigerator for a few minutes to chill. Bring it out of the refrigerator and whip again until fluffy.

As for making an icing to decorate cookies…

Try melting some white chocolate. You can add food coloring to some of the chocolate for variations. I’ve found the chocolate to cool and harden faster than the meringue icing. I like using the meringue powder when I know that there is enough time for the icing to set and harden. I am so bad, my temptations know no time! Yes, I am the type to touch a freshly painted wall to see if the paint has dried yet!! :oops:

Post subject: I make my own icing but...
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:05 pm 

If you want to make it less sweet, try adding a dash or two of popcorn or any other fine salt. That seems to cut the sweetness. I always add a few ounces of heavy whipping cream to thin it out and make it taste better (the Wilton buttercream is really stiff at first). If you're going to add whipping cream you should take it easy if you're mixing it with an electric mixer because of course it whips up and incorporates a lot of air into the icing. I always add a little at a time and mix it on the lowest speed possible to avoid air bubbles (air bubbles=bad when piping decorations of any kind). To thicken it you could always add more powdered sugar or a bit of cornstarch. I've never doctored canned icing but I'm sure it would work fine. Oh and something fairly obvious-if you're going to use the whipping cream then you should store the cake in the ice box. Just thought I'd throw that in! Hope this helps.
Annie C