It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cake Ideas Using French Vanilla Cake Mix?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:54 pm 

I've seen some posts where French Vanilla cake mix and pudding has been substituted for the cake mix called for in the recipe. I have Anne's first CMD book, so I'd love to know the name of any cakes in that book using the French Vanilla cake mix that you would make again.

Thanks for your response.

Joyce :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:49 pm 

Hi pumpkin - I often substitute French Vanilla for yellow mix, particularly if starting with a Duncan Hines mix. I'm a little embarrassed that I don't make notations of such things (i.e., which cakes). I do remember using it for Blueberry Muffin and the Banana cake. Of course with the banana, you won't be tasting much French Vanilla but my taste buds just do not like DH's yellow (and I'm a big fan of DH's other flavors). I've been a strictly scratch baker when making a Hummingbird Cake but with the recent high praise for the CMD version, I think I'll be trying it soon - starting with a French Vanilla mix. A few weeks ago, I tried Erin's Not-So-Plain Vanilla from here on the board and I highly recommend that one if you want a great-tasting vanilla cake. I just made another one today. I'm a little surprised that Anne didn't include ideas for the French Vanilla mix in the Cupcakes book. That book calls for a lot of yellow mixes and I know I'll be substituting FV on a lot of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:07 pm 

Hi Everyone, :D

Pumpkin, I'll agree with Carolyn. I don't care for the yellow mixes, because they taste too artificial, so I have almost quit buying them, and instead buy French Vanilla. I love that flavor anyway. Fact is it's, my favorite for ice-cream, also. I know that sounds strange for a chocoholic, but it has been a long time since I've even tasted chocolate ice-cream even though it sounds good. I would venture to say just about any cake in the books could be made starting with French Vanilla as a base, probably even the chocolate ones if desired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:43 pm 

Thanks Carolyn and Mary K. for your input. I guess the best thing to do is just start using the French Vanilla wherever and go from there.

Joyce :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:25 pm 

Can you tell me what the difference is between a Vanilla cake and a French Vanilla cake? I want to make Erin's recipe and all I could find was either a white cake mix or a french vanilla one. After I bought those I did finally see just a vanilla one, but at this point, I had already bought two mixes. (Then for her cake I didn't know if I should use plain vanilla pudding or french vanilla pudding). I need to stop the craziness! haha

What is the difference in flavor? I don't want to ruin the taste because I'm co-mingling vanillas...if that is possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:50 pm 

I always use both French Vanilla cake mix and FV instant pudding in this recipe - along with vanilla yogurt (& extract). When this recipe recently resurfaced, whoever made the post noted they thought the French Vanilla mix was the best. I can't judge that since I've only made it with FV. Sorry, I've never used the Natural Vanilla but I've seen other posts (not about this cake) saying that it was really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:02 pm 

Mohara, you know how in ice cream they will offer several different vanillas including French Vanilla, Old Fashioned Vanilla, and Natural Vanilla,among others, and even though they are vanilla they have a bit of a different taste. I, personally, like DH French Vanilla, and that's what I use along with the French Vanilla instant pudding, but really it's a matter of personal preference, and which ever one you decide to use, it isn't going to ruin the cake. In fact, I sub sour cream for the yogurt, again, a matter of personal preference. You could actually, use any flavor of cake mix and instant pudding you wanted to use. It would still be a good cake, just a different flavor.

Just another thought, I think the Almond Cream Cheese Pound Cake, first CMD book, page 129,(you could change the extract flavor if you wanted) would be a good candidate for French Vanilla cake mix. But there again, almost anything is good with cream cheese, when a person likes cream cheese.