It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Why are my brownies dry?!?!?!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:23 pm 

All,

The torture of summer baking continues for me :cry: ...

I have been having disaster after disaster this season and I don't believe it is my oven since it is rather new. Anyway, I have been on a quest to find the best scratch brownie recipe I can but they keep turning out dry. The most recent attempt yesterday was enough to bring me to tears.

What I am noting is that a lot of brownie recipes do not call for any liquid (besides th eggs). Could this be the culprit?

Does anyone out there have a good scratch brownie recipe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:35 pm 

I'm sorry about your disaster, especially since it's hot to start with.

Here's the scratch brownie recipe that a friend shared with me.

Fudge Brownies:

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons margarine
6 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1-cup sugar
2 eggs
1-teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup all-purpose flour

Melt margarine and by hand stir in cocoa and sugar well. Add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla. Stir in flour and mix all ingredients well by hand. Spray an 8" square pan well and then spread the mixture. Sprinkle finely chopped nuts on top; do not add the nuts to the batter. Bake at 350ยบ for 30 minutes. Remove and cool on a rack for 20 minutes. Then immediately cut into bars and carefully remove from pan to a container. Allow brownies to cool before sealing.

Joyce

Last edited by pumpkin on Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:53 pm 

Your sounding a little frustrated T.! I do not overcook brownies, usually 26 minutes for a 13X9 pan, but if I think I might have and even if I don't, I always cover the pan with a sheet of aluminum foil as soon as it comes out of the oven and let it cool like that. It always results in moist brownies for me.

Marsha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:01 pm 

Ahh! T. I'm sorry, but brownies are terrible when they turn out dry, aren't they? I really agree with Marsha. You're cooking them too long. I too, take them out at the very least amount of baking time, and then they need sort of protecting from drying out while they are cooling. I sometimes, just lay a clean dish towel over them, and I do the same thing over cooling cakes to keep them from drying out while cooling.

Years ago a friend gave me a recipe for, I believe they are called, "Skillet Brownies." I don't remember mixing them in a skillet, but maybe, we did. They are baked in a skillet though. We always used a cast iron skillet, but I would imagine something else would work. :D They were good ones, but since it was one of those recipes hand written on a piece of scrap paper, I'll have to see it I can find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:40 pm 

Taneka, sorry for your disappointment. Below is a recipe that was given to me that is supposed to be the keeper.

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup melted butter

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9x13inch baking pan.Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa, sugar and nuts in bowl. Mix in melted butter and 4 eggs. Mix thoroughly. Spread batter evenly into prepared baking pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely in pan before cutting into 2 inch squares.

You can add 1 tsp of vanilla, chocolate chips, coconut or cinnamon if you like for variations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:31 am 

Thanks to all who empathize with my pain. I seem to go through these periods where it seems nothing comes out right and/or tastes good and I guess this is one of those. I really feel all the heat and humidity is a contributing factor but can't know for sure...

Will try my hand at a few of the recipes posted this coming weekend (when it is actually supposed to cool down...thank goodness!) and see what kind of results I get.

Last edited by T. Martin on Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:07 am 

Hi Taneka - I happen to be logged on and saw your question. I remember earlier posts saying to undercook brownies by about five minutes. Take them out when the edges are done. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:28 pm 
If I'm not mistaken, the recipe that Barbara posted is the same recipe for brownies that I've used for years to much success. Even sworn brownie-haters (my mother included) have flipped for that recipe. Try them. I'm sure you'll love 'em as much as we do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:31 pm 

Hi All,

I have never made Brownies from scratch before,and Barbara's recipe looked simple enough,so I called my DG and asked if she wanted to help make Brownies. They turned out nicely,but, haven't tasted them yet. I cut out 2 pieces and sent the rest home with DG. :)

I have a question though.Does anyone have an idea why this recipe calls for 4 eggs? I have seen recipes for 2-3 eggs,depending on the texture that a person wants. What does 4 eggs do for the texture?

We added chocolate chips,walnuts,and coconut to the batter, then placed the batter in a 9x9 pan and sprinkled more chocolate chips on top. When the brownies came out of the oven,the chips were melted, I then spread the hot chocolate chips around the top.

DG tasted a small piece, while they were cooling, she seemed Happy! :D

Post subject: Why are my brownies dry?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:45 am 

Oh my, but do I understand what you are feeling!
But I'm like Marsha...I don't over-bake them. So
since oven temps vary, watch them for doneness.

Also, try not to stir them too long. Just enough
to blend all ingredients well is probably enough.

I hope all the comments have helped.

Suzeann :)