It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: French Vanilla Cake?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:32 am 

Making a wedding cake - French Vanilla cake mix. What can I use to doctor this? Don't see it in my book. Sour cream or Yogurt? Any other ideas?

Post subject: French Vanilla Cake
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:45 am 

Welcome tiffysma,
I love the French Vanilla cake mix and use it all the time for my white cakes. I have used both sour cream & vanilla yogurt, you can't go wrong with either, adding a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract will bring out even more flavor in your F.V. cake....come back and let us know what you do and how it turns out.
Rita :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:40 am 

Good morning all, :D

Welcome! tiffysma

The DH French Vanilla is just about my favorite non chocolate cake mix. I agree with Rita about adding the extract and they also, have a French vanilla extract now. I just bought some at a Super Center, but haven't yet tried it. I have used both sour cream and yogurt, but feel the sour cream makes the cake a little more moist probably because of the fat in the sour cream, whereas yogurt would be either low fat or no fat. I also, like to add a small box of French Vanilla instant pudding, but if your elevation is high this may not be an option for you.

Have you decided yet which cake you are going to make? Although, I haven't yet made it, the Basic Sour Cream Cake, page 398 in the first CMD book is the same as the Sour Cream Chocolate Cupcakes with Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting, page 60 of the same book. I have made that recipe a number of times in cake form, and know, along with many other happy bakers, that's a wonderful recipe.

Another option and wonderful cake would be Lemon Lover's White Chocolate, page 93 in the Chocolate book. That cake gets rave reviews, and some of us like to use milk instead of water when making it. That cake along with some others is also, in the Recipe Corner found in the red banner at the top of this page. Click Here for the recipe.

Please come back and let us know what you decide to make, and if you have any other questions or comments the people here are always happy to help, and may well have some suggestions for this cake as well. :D

Post subject: French Vanilla Cake?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:59 am 

thanks bunches. I bought DH French Vanilla mix and some French Vanilla pudding, but my brain wasn't working to decide what else to do. I think I'm going to use seedless rasberry with the white chocolate icing for filling and white chocolate crumb coating. The cake is going to have fondant over. Not my favorite thing, but pretty. I'll use Satin Ice and some extra flavoring in it as well.

I'm new at this forum thing. Some great ideas here. I've taken the 3 Wilton courses for decorating, but have always been into that sort of thing. Love to bake and make something different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:14 am 

That sounds very pretty and yummy as well. If you get to take pictures, and don't mind sharing them, we always love seeing the finished product. :wink:

For those who are wondering what Satin Ice is, Click Here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:00 pm 

I make French Vanilla cakes for almost all of my non-chocolate decorated cakes. I use "My Favorite Birthday Cake" recipe in CCMD. I use regular vanilla pudding, but you could easily use the French Vanilla pudding. It makes a good, sturdy cake for decorating, and I get a lot of compliments from my customers.

I have also made "The Best Pound Cake" from the newsletter (& The Dinner Doctor) using French Vanilla mix. It's basically the same cake with a little tweaking of the ingredients to make it a little more dense & poundcake-like.

Both cakes would be a good base for a fondant cake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:49 am 

Welcome Tiffysma,

I made a 3 tier almond sour cream wedding cake for my girlfriend and decorated it wth white chocolate almond butter cream in a basketweave pattern with rasperry filling (made from seedless preserves) as the filling.

It tasted really good and I got several referrals from this!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:48 am 

I really liked (Erin's ?) Not-so-Plain-Vanilla Cake. I made it last week, and even with a messup on my part, it was still rather tasty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:02 am 

Right you are, SmilieFace. :wink:

Erin’s Not-So-Plain Vanilla Cake

Post subject: Hi Tiffy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:48 am 
Germantown here. Welcome to the board. This is a great board.

I love the French Vanilla. It's my fav of all the vanilla cakes.
Karen