It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How do I Marble a white cake?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:54 pm 

Is there an easy "rule of thumb" for how to turn white batter into chocolate, when marbeling a cake? And 'how much' batter 'TO' marble? :?

I remembered Dear Hubby mentioning he'd like a Marble Cake just as I finished adding three eggs to a BC white cake mix!! :oops: Well, I was already comitted to what I had done (3 whole eggs, a shade over 1/3 cup melted butter, 1 1/3 cup water, 1tsp.vanilla)so after the panic subsided :wink: I forged ahead. I put about 3/4 cup batter in my measuring cup, added half a cup or so of mini chocolate chips, then nuked it half a minute till the chips melted. Presto: chocolate marbeling. But by the time I got it nuked it sure looked rather "flat", like the batter had "deflated" when it was nuked. And it sure looked like an awful lot of chocolate compared to the quantity of white batter in the (springform) pan!

Now that it's done the chocolate seems (at least on the pieces I just cut) to have 'migrated downward' almost to the bottom of the pan instead of staying all swirlled around in the middle the way I expected. And the chocolate part of the cake seems kind of 'bitter', like the semi-sweet chips were too strong (or too many?) for what I was trying to do :( (Should I have added a touch of vanilla to the chips part too?)

Any ideas what the heck I did wrong, folks? Or how to avoid this next time? I've read all through my CMD1 and most of these forums, but I can't seem to figure this out for some reason. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:53 pm 

I know you are going to think this is craxy, but I have done it several times, and it works perfectly.

Instead of melted chocolate, put Nestle's quick in the batter you pull out to be your marbleing. It doesn't weigh down the batter like the chocolate does, so it stays where you swirl it. It has its own sugar so you don't have to tinker with the sweetness like you would if you used cocoa. You can add as much or as little as you like for the instensity of chocolate you like. It works for me.

Brenda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:43 pm 

I can't remember if it's 1 cup or 2 cups of batter a person is suppose to withhold to use for the chocolate part. Does anyone remember? I too have used Chocolate Quick, but have also used chocolate syrup. The syrup will make that part of the batter somewhat thinner. It didn't seem to hurt it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:55 pm 

I have withheld 1-2 cups of batter (depends on how much chocolate you want!!) and added up to 1/2 c. cocoa powder. It makes the chocolate batter less sweet but it also stays suspended and marbled. Melted chocolate is heavier and would draw the batter toward the bottom no matter what. I have used this approach numerous times when I craved some chocolate in my cake :lol: .

Becky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:09 pm 

Becky I don't remember ever having the chocolate syrup go to the bottom of the pan. Now, I'm going to have to go make one just to see how it does. :lol:

When making a Neapolitan Cake I have used chocolate syrup in part of it and maraschino syrup in another part along with a white cake mix, and that makes a pretty cake. I usually just layer those different colors when doing that though. Also, have use the "Nestles Quick" chocolate and strawberry to achieve the same effect, although it seemed a tad dry to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:38 pm 

Quote:
I put about 3/4 cup batter in my measuring cup, added half a cup or so of mini chocolate chips, then nuked it half a minute till the chips melted. Presto: chocolate marbeling. But by the time I got it nuked it sure looked rather "flat", like the batter had "deflated" when it was nuked.

This could be the problem with it sinking. The melted chocolate should have been added to the batter. Nuking the batter would "cook" it and indeed would cause it to deflat or change chemistry.

I'd try again, mixing the melted chocolate into some of the batter (I've seen directions that say 2 cups or no more that 1/2 the batter). I've done this and it worked well. My mother always just made it by swirling in melted chocolate into the white cake and not mixing the chocolate with any batter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:50 pm 

Right you are Phyllis. That certainly might do it. I always take out some of the batter and mix the other flavors in with it. I know what is included in the pkgs. of Marble cake, is powdered, and you mix that with however much batter they have told a person to set aside for that purpose.

I've heard of people swirling some jam directly into the cake batter after it's in the pan, and then sort of swirling that, but I don't know how well it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:21 pm 

I think Tiffysma may have hit the nail on the head. Now that I think back, the chocolate part did act "heavier" than the rest of the batter had been when I was pouring it into the pan. Bet that's what happened: Plain-n-simple, it cooked and sank! :oops: Note to self: Do not cook the batter before you cook the cake! :D

Ohhh noooo. :roll: Now I'm gonna have to go and bake TWO more marble cakes, one with the Quick and one with the melted chocolate, just to see which one hubby likes best. That's just not fair! You folks are B-A-D for my waistline!!! :lol:

Come to think of it, I might just turn one of those into a Neapolitan just to have a "legitimate" excuse to use some marichino cherries. (He'll eat 'em if it's part of the cake, but ordinarily he just doesn't like cherries. And I love the durn things!) Thanks for the thought, MaryK! :lol:

Mary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:49 pm 

Quote:
Becky I don't remember ever having the chocolate syrup go to the bottom of the pan. Now, I'm going to have to go make one just to see how it does.

Mary, I don't think it happens with chocolate syrup because it is not as thick as melted chocolate and is made to blend in with things (like milk for instance :) ). And since I rarely bought Quick I usually didn't have it on hand to mix in when I wanted to marble something. That's why I use cocoa - it mixes in, gives me a chocolate fix :wink: , and doesn't sink :lol: . Plus I almost always have cocoa on hand (and if you ever taste one of those marbling packets they are a bit sour like unsweetened cocoa is). But go ahead and make more cakes - someone has to take on the job of checking out the facts :twisted: !!!

Becky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:45 pm 

:lol: Becky, Curiosity many times drives me to the kitchen, but what you have said makes sense to me.

When the boys were all little I sometimes bought Quick for them, but now, like you, I rarely have it. In fact, I bought some for that one time when I used it in the Neapolitan recipe then, if memory serves, used the Chocolate Quick to make one of the kinds of cocoa mix that I made a couple Christmases ago for the kids. I do keep cocoa though and chocolate syrup, and so those are the things that I use. :wink: I bought orange Tang for a batch of cookies one time, and knowing the rest of it would just set in the cabinet, but one of the boys would use the remainder I sent it home with him to enjoy.