It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Baking 911 - check this out!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:13 am 

I wanted to share this with all of you!

Most of you have either visited the Baking 911 website (www.baking911.com) or own the book written by Sarah Phillips. The site and book are just loaded with information.

What I discovered yesterday just pushed this website over the top.

You can go to the "Ask Sarah" message board - you have to register, but its free. And then you post a question about ANY topic, candy, cakes, cheesecakes, pies, etc and she, personally, will answer you!!! I think she used to email people directly, but that must have gotten out of hand with her popularity. However, she answers you on the message board very quickly.

It is sooo awesome to get an answer from an well known expert!!!!!!!!!

She will look at a recipe for you to see where it is failing, she will correspond back and forth with you to help you. She is amazing! I was having a little trouble with Toba Garrett's glaze (which Sarah Phillips always raves about) for my valentines cookies. The icing had tiny white specks in it when the cookies dried - even though they weren't there when the icing was wet. Sarah got back to me within a couple of hours and said it wasn't stirred enough. I used my kitchenaid mixer, but next time, I'll just do it a little longer. I am still in shock of getting an answer from a real "professional," if you know what I mean.

Check it out the next time you need baking help!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:51 am 

Good morning Melissa, :D That is a very good site for sure! Thanks for sharing with us. Do you sift your powdered sugar just before using it? Then slowly add in the milk or whatever liquid you are going to use stirring well as you go along. That will help make it easier to get it to melt and blend better. For most recipes using powdered sugar I too, prefer stirring mine by hand. I remember powdered sugar flying a few times when I, trying to hurry, carelessly turned the mixer on way too fast at the start of mixing a frosting containing it. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:20 pm 

If memory serves me right (it was 3 days ago and the brain cells are already diminishing) I think I combined the milk and confectioners sugar at the same time and started the mixer on stir to blend it all. Then I added the corn syrup and vanilla...stirred at first and then bumped it up to 2 and then 4. I normally stir by hand, but I thought it would be blended better using the mixer. Silly me! I wasn't sure if you could "overbeat" icing, so I didn't want to get carried away. Can you overbeat icing???

I didn't sift it because her recipe didn't say to, and also because it was Domino sugar and it seemed very fine to begin with. It had the consistency as if it already had been sifted (the package didn't say that, but the texture just appeared so fine). If it had seemed clumpy at all, I definitely would have sifted. Next time I will.

Does the corn syrup just make the icing more shiny? Honestly, I always made basically the same recipe but never included the corn syrup. This time I wanted to try hers, but I think the result was pretty much the same. The corn syrup makes it take longer for the icing to dry, but honestly I didn't notice that much of a shine difference.

Thanks Mary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:12 pm 

Hi Melissa, :D Well I never heard of over beating powdered sugar icing, but I guess anything is possible. I always sift the powdered sugar even though it doesn't have any clumps. It just does better that way. I think if you will do that even though the powdered sugar is very fine and lump free you will notice a difference in the way it mixes. (could be my imagination, but don't think so :D ) I like to start with the powdered sugar and then slowing add a bit of liquid. For me that just works better. You could always start it by mixing by hand in the mixer bowl and then when there isn't any danger from the sugar flying all over the place put your mixer to it.

Yes, corn syrup makes icing/glaze/frosting shiny. Hmm, usually with the chocolate frostings there is a decided shine to it when a person uses corn syrup in it.

You are welcome, Melissa. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:10 pm 

If anyone is interested in the icing conversation with Sarah Phillips, here it is. Very interesting!!!! I guess the milk should be warmed, which I never knew. There is more to it than that, but that's part of it.

http://www.baking911.com/asksarahbb/viewtopic.php?t=2351

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:54 pm 

Hi Melissa. I would think warming the milk would help powdered sugar to sort of dissolve for lack of a better word and then to meld making it smooth and spreadable more easily. Good tip! Thank you for both it and the link. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:02 am 

I find that sometimes when I use my Kitchenaid and beat the icing too long, then it's not as stiff as I want it to be. I don't know if you'd call it overbeating or if I accidentally whipped it. I've been known to walk off while the mixer is going and catch a couple of minutes of TV.... When this happens, I just add more sugar and it usually brings it back to the consistency I want. Slowly though. I, too, have made a powdered sugar mess on more than one occasion.....