It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Converting cake mix to jelly roll
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:16 pm 

I have been searching everywhere to find out how to convert a regular cake mix (in this case, Devil's Food cake) into a recipe to be able to roll into a jelly roll. When I made it as directed on the box, my roll fell apart when I went to unroll it. Since I'm finding no recipes for a roll online (except angel food cake) I was thinking that it needs to be modified. I had also searched for a recipe to make it from scratch, but can only find regular chocolate and the recipe I have wouldn't quite be right unless it was Devil's food.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Melissa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:49 pm 

Hello and Welcome Melissa! :D

I believe Jiffy has a chocolate cake mix, but I'm not sure they have a devil's food one. I'm sure there are more, but here is one using a Jif cake mix.

Click on the title and then scroll past the one made from scratch to:

Cocoa Cake Roll from a Mix

Maybe, others have some suggestions and will chime in with them. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:22 pm 

Here's a link from cooks.com for a chocolate cherry cake using a devil's food cake mix and jelly roll pan.

CHOCOLATE CHERRY CAKE

and another for a Holiday Yule Log. This one sounds so yummy!

Holiday Yule Log

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:58 am 

Stenomom, I used to do a jelly roll cake a lot (I made a german chocolate cake with traditional coconut and pecan frosting as the filling and frosted the outside of the finished roll with cool whip) and found that if you use a little smaller pan than the actual jelly roll size pan your cake will be a little thicker and not as prone to cracking. Just be sure NOT to overbake. I always had some cracking when I did mine, even though the filling kept it together pretty good and if you plan to frost after the final roll, you can always hide the cracks with a final frosting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:38 pm 

Thanks to those of you who posted the links and the suggestions. I'm probably going to give them all a try to find the one that works just right for me. If anyone else has any other suggestions, please add them and I'll add them to my list of "experiments!"
I'm very excited to try this because I've taken a recipe for a cake that tastes like Ho Ho's (it really does) and I wanted to convert it to a roll so that it looks like a giant Ho Ho!! Then I thought that I could garnish it with a few of the real things around it!!!
Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:07 pm 

Melissa, please let us all know how the experiment turns out, and if possible we would love it if you share pictures of it with us. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:19 am 
I saw this thread and it started me thinking lemon cake roll with lemon curd filling. So I have experimented with the recipe in the newletter and changed a few things to make it lemon.

I used a white Jiffy cake mix, changed the extract to lemon and added the zest of one lemon, and the juice of one lemon and enough water to make the 1/2 cup as stated in the recipe. I baked it at 375 for 12 minutes.

It is cooling rolled up on a rack now, smells great, now to make Pats Lemon Curd.

I will report back and tell everyone how it tastes. Wish me luck :D

Denise

Post subject: Update on Lemon Cake Roll
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:35 am 
Its great, I filled it with Pats Lemon Curd and let it chill for a couple of hours and dusted it with powdered sugar. Everyone thought it was very good, thanks everyone for the insperation to try this.

Denise :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:10 pm 

Denise, thank you for the update. It really sounds lemony good and pretty as a picture. I'm glad it was so successful. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:12 pm 

I used this recipe I found somewhere to may yule logs for xmas and they turned out great! I did one with chocolate and one with yellow cake. Hope you like it.

Jelly Roll Cake

1 mix (I used Choc fudge)
4 large eggs
1/2 water
1/3 cup oil

Combine, and beat as usual and pour into a 16 1/2 x 11 1/2 by 1 inch jelly roll pan that has been buttered and lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 - 20 min, then immediately turn it out onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners sugar. Peel off parchment paper carefully. Roll up the cake beginning wit a long side, using the towel as a helper. Let the cake rest and cool 30 min, then unroll it slightly and fill it with your choice of filling. Re roll, wrap in plastic wrap, let cool completely, then slice and serve.