It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Outdated cake mix
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:09 pm 

I have an outdated cake mix I know won't rise right--what can I add to revive it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:07 pm 

Welcome RosalieL! :D

If it isn't terribly outdated, it probably will be fine, and I would just use it as is without adding any leavening to it. I've seen them outdated a year and the leavening still was very viable. A lot of that will depend on the way it has been stored. Otherwise, how about adding around 1 tsp. of baking soda and then using either buttermilk or soured milk for the liquid. If you don't have either, you can always use 1 Tbsp. of either vinegar, or lemon juice, put it in a measuring cup, then add enough milk to make 1 cup total. Let it sit around 10 minutes or so, and then use it in whatever amounts the recipe states for the liquid. I tend to use baking soda, because that's just a personal preference for some of us, but you could also, use 2 tsp. of baking powder and just plain milk for the liquid.

Please come back and let us know what you did and the results. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:17 pm 

My neighbor (when we lived in NJ) had a bunch of outdated mixes. She decided they'd probably work better in bar cookies and/or cookies ... or things like that. And I think that's what she used them for. With many of the cake mix bar cookies you don't have to worry too much about rising, etc.

I've never really had that problem. My things disappear too quickly! Good luck.

Post subject: Out of date cake mixes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:18 pm 

One of my Foods students purchased a cake mix. When she baked it, it didn't rise up. I called the company and gave the code on top. The cake mix was 7 years old, no wonder it didn't turn out!!!! She had just purchased it at a store. They didn't rotate the stock like they should. Now they put a use by date on mixes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:43 pm 

That's terrible!! As a guide to reading the code on the older DH mixes click on, BAKING FAQ and HELPFUL HINTS, then scroll down to "DUNCAN HINES DATE CODE EXPLAINED" Usually the BC expiration date or use by date is easier to read, and even the DH is plainly written out rather than in code now. Anything that is still coded I would probably question if it's way out of date, unless they have gone back to using code.