It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to doctor a Pillsbury valentine's day Funfetti cake mix?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:16 pm 

I bought the adorable Pillsbury valentines funfetti cake mix and the matching pink frosting(which come with little heart sprinkles). anyways, I wanted to make the mix/frosting into some special little cupcakes for my Spouse's workplace (they always demand my cakes, thanks to anne's books!).

Anyways- I think vanilla frosting is boring- can/should I add some kind of extract to the frosting? if so, what flavor would you recommend? Or is it possible to doctor a funfetti cake mix? I wasn't sure if anyone had ever tried this before. I really like the consistency and flavor of adding pudding mix and sour cream (like the DGCC) but this is a vanilla mix..so..could I add a vanilla pudding mix and sour cream, maybe some vanilla chips? Will this type of cake mix make good cupcakes, or is it best reserved for bundt-style cakes? Thank you all for any advice or ideas you may have!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:43 pm 

Hello mlalak! :D

Yes, of course, you certainly may make the frosting another flavor, and almond is a very good choice....even a bit more so, if possible, around Valentine's Day. Then too, that seems to be a flavor most everyone really likes.

It doesn't matter what flavor the cake mix is, if you want to use the Darn Good Chocolate Cake recipe, pages 36-37 in the first CMD book, that's a very good basic recipe to use, and it will work very well. Go ahead and use your funfetti cake mix, and a small box of vanilla instant pudding, and add 1 to 2 tsp. of pure almond extract to the cake mix. That too will give it a boost. I would also, use some kind of milk instead of the water for a bit richer cake. That's a personal preference though with which several agree. Again, personally I wouldn't add the vanilla baking chips, because not everyone cares for those. They seem to be a chip that people either love or can't stand. With the funfetti in the mix it will be a pretty cake and really you don't need any baking chips in it. That really is up to you though. The choice is yours, and I'm sure you'll get varying opinions. Yes, ma'am, both the cake and the recipe, will make wonderful cupcakes as well. If you decide to bake it in a bundt I would bake it at 325. Those bundts have a dark interior, and just bake more nicely at that temp. Then again many of us bake all our cakes at 325 maximum, because even the layers and the sheet cakes turn out with a level top when baked at that temp. Good luck, and please come back to share the results with the rest of us. We love hearing, and whenever possible seeing the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:27 pm 

I agree with everything MaryK said -- from adapting the DGCC recipe to baking whatever size cake at 325. As for the frosting...you could try any buttercream recipe, and maybe tint it pink with some red food coloring or strawberry gelatin...Let us know what you do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:05 pm 

mlalak, did you buy the canned frosting they make to go with that cake mix, or were you going to make your own frosting?

Post subject: frosting
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:24 pm 

Mary, I actually bought the matching frosting that comes with the little heart sprinkles. I couldn't resist- the packaging sucked me in. :o) I think Adding almond extract to it will really help it taste better :o) I think I am going to do what you suggested and do the DGCC recipe with this cake. I checked the box however, and it is one of the Pillsbury's mixes that already has pudding in the mix. should I simply do a basic sour cream white cake instead, using almond extract for vanilla? Or do you think the pudding in the mix won;t disturb the DGCC recipe too much?

I also agree with you on the vanilla chips- I think the sprinkles in the mix and on top of the cupcake will be plenty! :o) Thanks for all of your help!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:05 pm 

Meredith, I'm so glad to see the problems have been resolved and you were able to get on and post!! Sometimes it's just some little something that causes us problems. :D

I always add a small box of pudding to that recipe even when the mix I use contains pudding in it. I know many others who do as well, and have made the cake many times. It's a good cake. You should be just fine. :wink: I've seen those mixes and the can of frosting with the little sprinkles also, provided, in years past, and like you, just had to see what it was all about, so bought them both. One of my sons just loved that frosting, but it's a tad bit sweet if memory serves. It will make pretty cupcakes or even a cake. I'm just sure of it. :D

Meredith, I replied to your PM last night, and it's still in your Inbox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:13 pm 

Meredith,
I made my best friend doctor her youngest child's birthday cake, which was made from a Funfetti mix. I just told her I wasn't going to eat bad cake! :lol: We used the DGCC recipe, minus the chips, so she used pudding and sour cream. It was very moist and dense, plus it looked cute. I also insisted on the 1/2 crisco, 1/2 buttercream Wilton frosting, which she used with a tip to decorate his football cake. Of course, she made me make it! LOL It was a huge improvement over canned, and it was easy to work with. Adding extract to the canned stuff can't hurt it, and could possibly help it. Unfortunately my whole family has now turned into frosting snobs and won't touch the canned stuff!
Good luck!
Diane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:54 pm 

well, i ended up doing the sour cream cake version on the funfetti. It was just "ok". I think a big problem was the canned frosting- yucko! that stuff was really not good, i remember the chocolate flavors being tastier than the vanilla. The cake itself was moist and good! Anyways, thought Id post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:02 pm 

mlalak, thanks for your update. Some people eat and love the canned frosting, but then others of us really prefer homemade, don't we? Sorry about that, but at least the cake itself was a winner. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:10 pm 

I remember when I was in high school and would eat canned frosting with a spoon and thought it was the best thing ever... now I would never dream of it. We spoil ourselves... although I do think the chocolate canned is way better than the vanilla ones.