It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Will fondant stick to ganache OK?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:30 am 

I'm working on my first-ever tiered cake! My scheme is to ice the cakes in dark chocolate ganache, and then decorate with fondant. Will this work OK, or should I switch to a buttercream frosting?

Any other tier tips for a newbie? I'm doing 10", 8" and 6" tiers. I've got the cardboard rounds, and was planning on using cut drinking straws to support them. There's another question: how will the cardboard rounds work with ganache rather than buttercream?

This is a bit nerve-racking...but fun! :P

~Valerie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:41 am 

Hi There-
Just a few thoughts on topics you mentioned...I would definetly support the tiers with something stronger than straws. Wooden dowels work great, and you can cut them to the height you need. As far as the cardboard circles... make sure they are grease-proof, or if not, wrap them with cake foil (find it at Michaels, made by Wilton) otherwise your cardboard will turn to mush! If you are using dark choc. ganache but covering in white fondant, the color of the ganache will show thru, and I think you won't be able to avoid choc. 'smears' on the fondant while covering it and smoothing it. I always use buttercream... but just a thin coat. If you are just using the fondant to decorate on the choc. ganache, make sure the ganache sets up well to be able to 'hold' the fondant pieces. Hope this helps![/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:58 am 

I'm not covering the whole thing in fondant, just putting some shapes on for decoration, so I'll be sure it sets well. I think using straws rather than dowels is pretty common, so I'm going to stick with them. (Besides, I have them, and no dowels, so that's that! :wink:)

Thanks, Lynn!

~Valerie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:58 pm 

Valerie, let us know how it goes with the cake. I use straws (usually thicker ones, from McDonalds or some other fast food place) when making my tiered cakes; I think it's a matter of personal preference. As you and Lynn said, as long as the ganache hardens, you should be fine with the fondant decorations. I can't wait to see pictures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:33 pm 

Help! I opened a packet of ganache and it's all slimy and icky! Can I still use it? How can I fix it? I'm using the Wilton pre-colored stuff. Thanks!

~Valerie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:54 pm 

Well, after opening a second packet of the same color with the same problem, I decided it was just the coloring. So I kneaded it, stuck it in the fridge for a few minutes, and it was right as rain! :D

Two tiers down, one to go....

~Valerie