It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My cake won't cook in the middle!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:43 am 
I'm baking a "Pudding in the mix" cake for my son's party tomorrow. DH took it out of the oven, because I was holding my sick infant. We forgot to check the middle to see if it was done. About 20-30 minutes later, I went to cut off the top and flip it over, and it's not done in the middle.

I put it back in the oven, 3 times for 5-10 minutes each time. It's still not coming out clean in the middle! HELP!

Will it be edible? It's back in the oven for 10 minutes right now.

Also, it's in a "car" shaped mold. THe cake didn't fill out the wheel wells... any suggestions for "making" wheels? THe party is tomorrow, and I have no time to make a new cake. :( I want to cry right now!!!

TIA!
Genevieve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:35 am 

Oh Genevieve, I remember those long surreal middle-of-the-night disasters, especially the ones that involve sick babies. All I can tell you is that it DOES get better--so much better that you'll find yourself wanting to slow time and return to those days when you could carry them in your arms, even if it means a few all-nighters. My 15-year-old is researching colleges now, and they're all so far away... Hang in there and savor everything: this is your life.

As for your cake, if you're still wondering what to do: I'm sure the more experienced bakers on this board will come up with better suggestions, but one thing you could try if you're desperate is just leaving it in the pan and decorating it so the car outlines show. You could have your husband buy a plain pound cake at the store, which you could use to fill in the gaps in the pan where there's no cake, then camouflage them with the frosting decoration. If the middle is still floppy, be sure to give yourself that piece--in a bowl, if necessary! I bet the birthday boy won't notice, and every grown-up in the room will understand. And one day this will be a story you'll tell every year on his birthday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:20 am 

Genevieve - Or for wheels, mini peppermint patties? And you can cut them to fit. . .

Personally, I'd pop to the store and get another cake. We had to do that enough times when the kids were little.