It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best Cake for Shipping
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:20 pm 

I am asking for your suggestions! I'd like to bake a cake to ship to my 90 year old Grandfather for his birthday.

Looking for something that will hold up to send priority mail.

Thank you for your help.

Teri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:41 am 

Teri,

Does it have to be a fancy cake or just something that tastes really good? Pound cakes do really well when it comes to shipping (I just shipped a lemon one to a friend at Easter). As far as CMD cakes I will always recommend my first love, the Almond Cream Cheese Pound Cake (recipe is in the first book and I believe updated in the newest book). I would recommend wrapping the cake in both plastic wrap and foil, freezing until very firm and then shipping. Another cake would be the Best Pound Cake which I am pretty sure was featured in a newsletter way back. It is a cake with a lot of ingredients and quite dense; the density is what will allow the cake to stand up to shipping.

Let us know what you decide...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:00 pm 

It could be a pound cake. I just want it to get there in one piece! Plus I am a little leary of any topping, even a sugar drizzle over a pound cake. Do you think it would be ok? Shipping a cake is a first for me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:06 am 

Quote:
It could be a pound cake. I just want it to get there in one piece! Plus I am a little leary of any topping, even a sugar drizzle over a pound cake. Do you think it would be ok? Shipping a cake is a first for me!

Hi Teri,

Don't be worried about having a topping. As I mentioned for Easter I shipped a scratch bundt cake and it had a lemon sugar glaze (I actually made a double batch of the glaze as I really wanted the cake to be enrobed in glaze). I decoratively wrapped the cake in cellophane and tied with curled ribbon. The cake arrived in one piece and looking very presentable as reported by the recipient.

Regardless of what type of cake you choose if you follow the freezing technique I mentioned in my earlier post and then ship promptly you'll have no issues. Let us know what cake you ultimately choose...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:33 am 

I have been traveling for some time and haven't been on the board. What cake did you decide? I once sent the Applesauce Cake from CMD1. The recipient was very happy with it! I really like Taneka's freezing technique. I'm going to try that the next time I ship a cake.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:53 pm 

My son is in the US Navy stationed in California and I am in Maryland. I just made Erin's Vanilla Cake, using a Funetti cake mix. I froze it, like suggested, and them mailed it. I know he won't get it until Monday. I'll let you know how it survived!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:37 pm 

I talked to my son last night. The cake got there in one piece and he said that it was yummy! A bunch of hungry sailors, soldiers, etc all got a piece of homemade cake!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:13 am 

That's great news! I'm sure your son and the other sailors and soldiers enjoyed their treat! Thanks to your son (and you!) for the service he does.