It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chicken Pot Pie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:03 pm 

The only one I've ever made was just wonderful and
was from one of those womens' magazines, though which one I can't recall. It took a long time,
but I recall how my sis and I loved it.

Does anyone know where I can find a recipe that is
really good, but doesn't take up so much time? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:38 pm 

I don't use a recipe, but I make chicken pot pie all the time. I use the Pilsbury store bought pie crust-the refrigerated ones, not the frozen, but either would work. Then I use about 2 cooked chicken breasts, shred them up. I use frozen mixed veggies (I use the kind with green beans, carrots, peas and corn, but you could use almost anything. I'd love to try it with a broccoli/cauliflower mix but then the kids wouldn't eat it). I mix the chicken and the cooked veggies with 2 packs of chicken gravy mix, prepared by the package instructions (I've also used the jarred kind but the packets are cheaper.) Then I pour it in the crust, top it with the second crust and bake it for about 45 minutes, or until the crust is brown. I know a lot of recipes call for just the top crust, so you could do it that way too-my family likes the top and the bottom crust.
There is also a recipe in the Dinner Doctor cookbook if you have that. I've made that a few times and it's good too.
Yvette

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:50 pm 

I recently checked out The Best 30 Minute Recipe from Cooks Illustrated at my library. They had an interesting take on a quick chicken pot pie--make the pie filling on the stove and while it is cooking, cook the topping in the oven, whether biscuits or a crust, then combine the two right before serving. I didn't try it, because my huband won't eat it, but I thought it sounded like a fun idea.

I did try the crunchy pork chops and the oven roasted chicken and potatoes and I thought they were good.

Post subject: Chicken pot pie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:28 am 

Does anyone have the topping for the chicken pot pie where you combine melted butter, flour and milk(?) and pour it on top of the veggies and chicken, etc. and bake it until the top is brown? I made this years ago and have lost the recipe for this topping but it is good and looks like a real professional cook did it! Makes a wonderful presentation. Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:14 am 

Patricia, was it anything like this Chicken Pot Pie topping? If you don't want to use self rising flour just use all purpose flour and for each cup of flour use, 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 tsp. of salt with enough flour to bring it up to 1 cup total.

Post subject: Chicken Pot Pie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:12 am 

:D Mary K., Yes,this is the very one! Thanks so much for all of your help, not only to me but to so many of us on the forum! This makes a beautiful presentation and everyone I ever made it for commented on how good it was. Also, DH likes it, too!
Oklahoma is having some real bad, icy weather....hope you are safe and warm! Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:24 am 

Good morning everyone! :D

Glad this fits the bill Patricia. Yes, we are really socked in with all this ice, but so glad most of it's on the ground with some on the trees, but not like some years when the large tree branches were snapping to the ground all around us, because of the weight of ice on them. We are much less likely to lose electricity and water this way, but it makes us all more thankful for a nice warm home, and that all are safely tucked inside theirs. Thank you for your well wishes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:28 am 

That's an intersting recipe, Mary. Not sure I'd want the dumplings in it. I've never used that type topping for a pot pie, but I bet it would be good. I use that topping with some sugar added for cobblers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:47 am 

Phyllis, I was just thinking how very similar that is to what we use for some of the cobblers we make. I cut the butter back to 6 Tbsp. and usually put it together a little differently melting the butter in the bottom of the baking dish. I wonder how it would work to mix it all together adding the cup of sugar, and pour it over the top of fruit instead? A friend of mine always added an egg to the batter, but I don't, and it's good either way. I've never used self rising flour, and usually use 3 tsp. of baking powder (I just noticed some use 1 tsp.) in that one, but I'm thinking a cobbler really sounds good for today. Thanks for that idea, Phyllis! That would really hit the spot, so that's exactly what I'm fixing! :D

Last edited by Mary K. on Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:49 am 

Mary, I cut the butter also, but do add it to the batter. I don't use an egg. I don't really have a recipe, just one of those mix it up kind of things. I was thinking of a peach cobbler myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:55 am 

Knowing a bit about your cooking habits, I sort of figured you probably cut the butter also, I've even cut mine to 4 Tbsp. at times, and I thought it was fine, and will surprised if that isn't closer to what you use. I'm going to try mixing it all together your way today. I have plenty of peaches from those I froze last summer. It's time to enjoy a few more. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 pm 

I'm extremely particular about chicken pot pie... as a rule, I don't care for it all. Except there is a bakery in my home town that makes the BEST. All white meat, very light sauce, and the crust is just a nice flaky pie crust. No veggies. Lots of white pepper. They use the same crust for their fig and raspberry squares.

The bakery is right near my father's office. I remember when I was a kid, he would pick Vic's pies up on the way home from work ... you know how some people pick up pizzas when they don't feel like cooking? Not us... always chicken pies.

My folks always get some when I am back east, and sometimes we deep freeze a couple and I carry them in a styrofoam cooler on the plane. (Ex DBF loooved them)

Post subject: pot pie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:32 pm 

I use Anne's recipe in the DD...kinda sorta! It is a good basic recipe for the filling. I do have a tendency to start throwing stuff together,which is how Anne cooks, too! Sometimes I use Biquick biscuits on top, sometimes I use Stove Top stuffing...whatever I have. I made it tonight with Bisquick. It is good, easy, and definately a good change of pace from burgers and tacos from the weekend.
Diane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

How funny, I just tried Anne's recipe for the first time last night, and I was impressed. I'm not much of a cook, but this recipe was so easy that I did it while watching Gilmore Girls, and it actually got great reviews! I'm sure it can be doctored, but I'm not quite to that point yet.

Info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:02 pm 

Tonight, I made the chicken pot pie using Anne's recipe, and it was indeed delicious. My sis made
a salad to go with it. :D