It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Beef Stew Recipes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:22 pm 

Does anyone know where I can find a good recipe for beef stew? I found one online that is an oven beef stew and it looks tasty, but it calls for two teaspoons of sugar, and my Dad can't have that.

Help!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:54 pm 

Hi Sue, that recipe would be just fine without the sugar, I'm sure! Some cooks find it hard to cook anything without adding a bit of sugar, and I suspect the recipe being what it is, that's the case with that recipe. My maternal grandmother put sugar in her brown gravy....delicious, but she was German, and I'm told the Bavarians cook using sugar in a lot of things.

I'm sorry, but stew is something that I just make, and really don't use a recipe. Although, I can't start cooking without 1 pretty good sized onion, diced, 1/2 to a whole bell pepper diced, sometimes a couple ribs of celery diced, and 2 or 3 cloves of garlic diced. Sometimes, I sauté them but not always. Then you brown the meat you're going to use. That sort of gives you a base, along with, if desired, black pepper to taste, and salt, which even I fudge a bit and use some at times. You might want to pitch in a bay leaf. That's a good addition. I've also, discovered for beef a few Tbsp. of red wine vinegar gives something made from beef, especially if it's a bit bland, a good pickup, white wine vinegar and/or balsamic vinegar for pork. We don't, well maybe, I should say, I'm not crazy about thyme, and as much as we like balsamic with pork we really don't care for it with beef. Then after you sear your beef and add those other things, you can start adding your broth and veggies. I thoroughly wash the leaves of celery and pitch a few of those in with a little celery still attached for flavor. I do like to put at least 1/4 cup of pearl barley in some soups including vegetable. If it needs some more flavor, add a little more vinegar, or other herbs.

We've been discussing the different vinegars lately and how much they add to a dish, that includes soups. For those we haven't tried the various kinds of vinegar, don't be afraid it's going to taste like vinegar. It only smells a bit that way, but doesn't even taste close to it. They're available at your grocery, in quite a variety, and make such a good addition to your cooking.

That said, there are several good looking stews in the Dinner Doctor, that could easily be made substituting your choice of some of the ingredients, if there are some you would rather not use, or don't have.

I started answering this earlier and had a recipe that I found sometime back for vegetable soup that I wanted to try. I thought I could quickly lay my hands on it, but that didn't happen, so I'm still looking for it, which if I can remember the name of it, I know it's on my computer, and I can see the bowl of it along with the recipe. During the process of looking for that, I stopped to put the room temp ingredients together for a pan of brownies, and then my hot rolls were ready to pop in the oven to bake, but all that's done now, and in the process I ran across another recipe that you might like to try, and again sub veggies you all enjoy for those you really don't.
Laura's Savory Beef Stew I'm still looking for the other one. Maybe the name will come to me along the way.

If I didn't have so terribly many recipes on my hard drive, I would install my copy of Master Cook and that would make it much easier to find things, simply because I wouldn't have to remember the start of the recipe name. Now, I dread the thought of transferring everything to it, since otherwise, I like the way I've been doing things, and other than times like this, it serves me quite well. :wink:

Here's another recipe that looks/sounds pretty good. It's called, Savory Vegetable Beef Soup I would probably use crushed tomatoes, in this one, but that's a matter of personal preference, and nothing more. Don't be afraid to change things a bit, adding your own touch to what you make. It probably will taste better to your own family, because you are the most likely to know what they do, and don't care for in foods. Recipes really are only guidelines. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:12 pm 

For my beef stew (honed over the years) I use a cut up chuck roast and dredge the pieces in flour with S&P (actually I put the seasoned flour in a paper bag and then add the meat and shake it up til it is covered. Brown that in hot EVOO. When brown add I sliced onion,some minced garlic, and cook just for a minute or two and then add 12 to 3/4 cup decent red wine. Scrape up the browned bits (i.e. deglaze) and as it starts to thicken a bit add cut up carrots, celery (proportions to your taste) and a 1 lb. can of diced tomatoes. At this point season with S&P and some basil. Cook for about 30 minutes (stovetop)and then add aonother onion (quartered) and cut up potatoes (again proportion to your taste). Taste for seasoning and adjust. Can also addmushrooms, green beans, or whatever at this point. Cook another 30 min. The gravy should be nice and thick and everything nice and tender. You do have to check from time to time and adjust heat so you do not scorch the bottom. You can do it in the oven as a way to decrease the risk of burning.
KathyB