John’s Chocolate Sauce
4 servings; 2/3 cup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Note: You can use Hershey’s or Ghirardelli cocoa in this recipe. No need for fancy Dutch processed-cocoa.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa (see note)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 to 4 tablespoons brandy
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place the butter, cocoa, sugar, cream, brandy, and vanilla in a medium heavy saucepan over high heat. Stir to combine, so the ingredients come together and the sugar does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Continue stirring until the mixture comes to a boil, then let it boil, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is smooth and thickened. This will take a total of 6 to 7 minutes, from start to finish. Remove the pan from the heat, let the sauce cool 2 to 3 minutes, then serve warm over ice cream.
- Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor
- Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor
- The Cake Mix Doctor
- The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten-Free
- The Dinner Doctor
- What Can I Bring?