Double Chocolate Kahlua Cake
For more great Kahlua recipes go to Kahlua.com.
I don’t think you’ll find a stronger marriage than Kahlua and chocolate, and this spectacular layer cake proves that point in just one bite. This deep dark cake is for adult palates, and it makes perfect dinner party fare. Should you want to temper its flavor a bit, reduce the Kahlua to 1/2 cup and increase the buttermilk to 1 cup. Serve freshly made with a steaming cup of coffee.
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain devil's food cake mix
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup Kahlua
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans with solid vegetable shortening, then dust with flour. Shake out the excess flour. Set the pans aside.
- Place the cake mix, cocoa, Kahlua, buttermilk, oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down the sides again if needed. The batter should look well combined. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans, smoothing it out with the rubber spatula. Place the pans in the oven side by side.
- Bake the cakes until they spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 28 to 30 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool for 10 minutes. Run a dinner knife around the edge of each layer and invert each onto a rack, then invert again onto another rack so that the cakes are right side up. Allow to cool completely, 30 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Fluffy Chocolate Kahlua Frosting. Place the cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl and pour in the boiling water and Kahlua. Stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until the cocoa comes together into a soft mass. Add the butter and blend with an electric mixer on low speed until the mixture is soft and well combined, 30 seconds. Stop the machine. Add the confectioners' sugar and cinnamon and beat with the mixer on low speed until the sugar is incorporated, 1 minute. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until the frosting lightens and is fluffy, 2 minutes more.
- Place one of the layers right side up on a cake plate or stand. Generously and evenly frost the top of the layer. Place the second layer on top, and generously frost the top of the cake creating decorative swirls with the spatula. With the remaining frosting, frost around the sides of the cake using smooth, clean strokes.
- Slice, then serve.
- Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor
- Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor
- The Cake Mix Doctor
- The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten-Free
- The Dinner Doctor
- What Can I Bring?
What could be better than a phenomenon? The return of a phenomenon. Ten years ago Anne Byrn's The Cake Mix Doctor began its extraordinary run as one of the most popular baking books of all time. Now Anne Byrn is back with the all-new Cake Mix Doctor Returns!Read More...