Pumpkin Spice Waffles
6 large waffles
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 to 4 minutes
Total Time: 35-40 minutes
Either canned or fresh cooked and mashed pumpkin works in this easy recipe. You just need a cup of pumpkin, so use any leftover pumpkin in cake and bread batters. Feel free to add a pinch of nutmeg. If you don’t have buttermilk, use regular milk, but change the leavening a bit by omitting the baking soda and increasing the baking powder to 1 tablespoon. But you must beat the egg whites separately to stiff peaks and fold them into the batter because this is the secret to a perfect waffle.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, separated
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine well. Set aside.
- Place the pumpkin, buttermilk, oil, and egg yolks in a medium bowl, and stir to combine until smooth. Turn the pumpkin mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until partially combined.
- Place the egg whites in a clean large bowl and beat on high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the beaten whites into the batter, and fold into the batter gently using a rubber spatula until the whites are just combined.
- Preheat your waffle iron, and spray with vegetable oil if needed.
- When the waffle iron is hot, spoon ½ cup batter into the center of the iron, and gently spread it out to nearly the edges with the rubber spatula. Close the waffle iron and let the waffle cook until done, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve waffles warm with maple syrup, miniature chocolate chips, currants, and/or finely chopped pecans, if desired.
- Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor
- Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor
- The Cake Mix Doctor
- The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten-Free
- The Dinner Doctor
- What Can I Bring?
As the Cake Mix Doctor and America’s bestselling baking author, Anne Byrn shows home bakers how to turn prepackaged cake mix into cake magnificence. But when it comes to frostings, she insists on making them from scratch.Read More...