Scarlet’s Red Velvet Cupcakes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Earlier this year, my publicist Selina Meere asked me to develop a Red Velvet Cupcake in honor of her daughter Scarlet’s first birthday. Here is a terrific Red Velvet cupcake with peppermint frosting, perfect for holiday baking.
For the cupcakes:
- 1 package (21.6 ounces) Cake Mix Doctor’s Old-Fashioned Yellow cake mix, or your favorite yellow cake mix
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) vanilla instant pudding mix
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1½ cups milk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- Half a 1-ounce bottle red food coloring
- Note: If you don’t like the flavor of red food coloring, Wilton makes a flavorless red food coloring called “No Taste” food coloring gel.
For the peppermint frosting:
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- Crushed peppermint candies, if desired, for topping cupcakes
- Place a rack in the center of the oven, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place 24 paper liners in two cupcake pans and set the pans aside.
- For the cupcakes, place the cake mix, pudding mix, cocoa, milk, oil, eggs, and red food coloring in a large mixing bowl and blend on low speed of an electric mixer until just combined. Increase the mixer speed to medium and blend until smooth, 1 to 1½ minutes. Scoop the batter into the liners, filling them three-quarters of the way full. Place the pans in the oven.
- Bake the cupcakes until the cake springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 20 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool.
- For the frosting, place the butter in a large mixing bowl, and blend with an electric mixer on low until creamy. Add 2 cups of the confectioners’ sugar, the milk, and extract, and blend until smooth. Add the remaining 1 cup sugar and blend on medium-high until the frosting is creamy and fluffy. Set aside.
- When the cupcakes are cool, spread a tablespoon frosting over each one. Garnish with crushed peppermint, if desired.
- Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor
- Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor
- The Cake Mix Doctor
- The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten-Free
- The Dinner Doctor
- What Can I Bring?