Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, as seen in the New York Times
Time: About 1 hour
- Solid vegetable shortening
- 1 package (18 1/4 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 ripe medium-size bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons créme de banane liqueur, optional
Yield: 1 1/2 cups.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons ( 1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 drops LorAnn banana creme flavor, or 1/2 teaspoon imitation banana flavor
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with shortening, and dust with flour. Shake out excess flour.
- Place cake mix, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Add mashed bananas, 1 cup water, oil, eggs and, if desired, liqueur. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed 1 minute. Stop mixer and scrape down side of bowl with rubber spatula. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed until well blended, scraping side again if needed. Pour into prepared pan, and place on center rack of oven.
- Bake until top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool on a wire rack.
- Place cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Add confectioners' sugar a bit at a time, and blend on low speed until well incorporated, 1 minute. Add flavoring, and blend at medium speed until fluffy, 1 minute more.
- Use at once to frost top of cake.
- Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor
- Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor
- The Cake Mix Doctor
- The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten-Free
- The Dinner Doctor
- What Can I Bring?
What could be better than a phenomenon? The return of a phenomenon. Ten years ago Anne Byrn's The Cake Mix Doctor began its extraordinary run as one of the most popular baking books of all time. Now Anne Byrn is back with the all-new Cake Mix Doctor Returns!Read More...