Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, as seen in the New York Times
Time: About 1 hour
- Solid vegetable shortening
- 1 package (18 1/4 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 ripe medium-size bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons créme de banane liqueur, optional
Yield: 1 1/2 cups.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons ( 1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 drops LorAnn banana creme flavor, or 1/2 teaspoon imitation banana flavor
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with shortening, and dust with flour. Shake out excess flour.
- Place cake mix, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Add mashed bananas, 1 cup water, oil, eggs and, if desired, liqueur. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed 1 minute. Stop mixer and scrape down side of bowl with rubber spatula. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed until well blended, scraping side again if needed. Pour into prepared pan, and place on center rack of oven.
- Bake until top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool on a wire rack.
- Place cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Add confectioners' sugar a bit at a time, and blend on low speed until well incorporated, 1 minute. Add flavoring, and blend at medium speed until fluffy, 1 minute more.
- Use at once to frost top of cake.
- Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor
- Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor
- The Cake Mix Doctor
- The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten-Free
- The Dinner Doctor
- What Can I Bring?
Everyone needs one great, foolproof recipe for a birthday cake—here, from the Cake Mix Doctor, America’s bestselling baking author whose books have sold millions of copies, are 25 of them, plus the perfect frostings and icings.Read More...